Monday, January 28, 2013

January 28, 2013



This week I don't really have a ton to write. We found some awesome new couples and we have 5 or 6 with the baptismal date in March that we are trying to teach and help get married. I really hope I get to stay one more transfer after this one because that's when all of our work should start paying off. This week they are having a collective marriage in Manga and we are going to be going to the register with a lot of our couples trying to figure out documents to prepare for marriage.
   We caught another chameleon and found out where a ton of monkeys are but we didn't get to go there yet. Maybe next p day.
    We had district conference in Beirra and the Kretley's and Elder Usi from Kenya who is in the Area Seventy came down it was way nice. We had a meeting with all the couples who are trying to get married and he pretty much just crushed any false ideas and traditions  they had about marriage and relationships and even funerals. It was nice and maybe coming from someone higher up than us will help a ton.
   President Kretley also gave a training about the new youth program Vinde a Mim in Portuguese but I think it's Come unto Me. Way Nice! Elder Hoffman and I tried to give a training on it to our youth teachers about a month ago but I'm pretty sure President Kretley put our training to shame. It's crazy how much that new program and Preach my Gospel are alike.
    Our branch is going ok. We have a lot of callings need filled and not a lot of worthy members to fill them. But I know these baptisms we are going to have in Warch will help a ton. Our president is awesome and he is starting to step up now. He was only baptized about 5 months ago! It's crazy but he is a cool guy. We are trying to help him and work together. Someday Inhamizua won't need missionaries in the presidency. Hopefully soon. Our new 1st counselor is a way cool guy and things are starting to look better but we have a ton of work to do. There are sooo many inactive members here. One of our contact questions when we hear they have heard about the church is if they were already baptized. We have met tons of inactive members but I know if we start baptizing a lot of people a lot of people will start coming back.
    One more story: so we have a lot of first lessons where the people just have like no reaction and don't pay attention show no interest at all but I have always wondered this so when we teach the plan of salvation you would think if people who really understood what it is and have never heard it they would be excited or at least change their facial expression or something but a lot of people are just like ‘yeah I already have a church’ ‘we are all on the same path’ kind of deal. But we had a lesson marked with a guy named Bobo.  When we first showed up he didn't have a shirt on and I was kinda just like great but tried to go in with a good attitude. But he was super nice and we planned on teaching the restoration but we both felt we should teach the plan of salvation once we started talking to him. One of the best reactions to the Plan of Salvation I have seen! So we told him that we all lived with God before this life and he was like ''Wait wait wait you guys just opened my eyes! You mean to tell me we all existed before this life and all this was planned out?"  It was super nice and the spirit was way strong like he actually participated and understood. And then at the end he says ''I don't get it. I'm a man you guys are only men but there is some kind of other power here using you guys to speak because this message is from God!" I was just like ‘holy smokes this guy is prepared’ so he came to the conference Saturday and loved it. His family lives down in Maputo and he just is working up here so we told missionaries down there to start teaching his wife at the same time but we will see what happens.
   We tried to do a Mozambican food week at our house because Elder Vestia from Portugal wanted too super bad. So we just bought beans rice and corn flower for xima, this stuff they eat all the time here because it's super cheap. And we could only buy things from the markets that our investigators would be able to afford and bread from the breadshop that is like 2 cents. It was a good idea and it saved a ton of money which I needed but none of us lasted. We all ended up cheating.
     It was a good week, and we need another this week. Oh and I got a picture with a guy, a member who I met for the 1st time this week, with an Elks Football shirt on!! Like 90 percent sure it's an old RV shirt!
   I will send pics next week. I didn't bring my camera cause it's raining.

                                         Elder Bigelow

No comments:

Post a Comment