Monday, October 28, 2013

October 28, 2013 - Matola

                                   A week in the Life
   God works in mysterious ways.
   This week was pretty crazy! So I will start off with my and Elder Reed’s division Tuesday. So we are walking in his area and we have been walking all day without a lesson when we contact a guy at his house whose wife recently died, so we are thinking ‘plan of salvation.’ But ends up he just wants to argue everything we say and just goes off on us for 30 minutes. So we just smile and invite him to church thinking there is no way we will ever see him again. Well come Sunday this guy actually shows up as we are waiting for Andre and Maria to show up early for church (to get interviewed for baptism because their baptism and wedding is scheduled for Saturday). So Andre sits right next to this guy and they start talking and as soon as we are ready to do the interviews Andre says they want to push the wedding back to the 30th of next month so his whole family could come so they don’t get offended. So we are trying to ask him to just sign, get baptized, and have the party later. And the guy from the divisions just keeps talking to Andre telling him that he has to have his whole family, it’s tradition, don’t let these white guys pressure you. And I have never wanted to just punch somebody so bad. But it’s Andre’s decision, so at the end of things he decides to push everything back. So anyways President Kretley happens to be visiting our branch for the primary program and hears about all this. So at the end I talk with him and he asks to meet with all of Andre’s family right after church. So we hear them talking and laughing and everything and at the end President Kretley comes up to talk to us and says ‘don't worry about this family, they will be baptized and married.  Don’t pressure them and when they get baptized call me because I want to watch.’ Super nice!
      Then we have a family that had a baby who was born like 2 weeks ago and they invited us to a party for when the first time the baby comes out of the house and can stay outside so we decide to go. They kept asking us if our church does a special blessing when that happens and if we bless the baby and we said no. So we show up like 2 hours late on purpose because I knew they were going to try to get us to do some kind of blessing or something but we happen to show up right before the baby comes out. And there are like 20 thirty people. So this guy stands up and announces that the missionaries (us) would be doing some kind of special blessing on the baby and everyone just stares at us and waits. We always get put in the most awkward situations!! So I stand up and just say we are not going to bless the baby but I can say a prayer. So everybody stood up and I just said a prayer. Anyways afterwards was the gift-giving ceremony so they start singing dialect music and passing the baby around like a football stacking gifts on top of it. Super funny.
    Then yesterday was seriously one of the craziest experiences of my mission. We get to our area at night and all the sudden it hits - I have to go to the bathroom super bad! But we have no toilet paper and of course nobody uses toilet paper here but us, so I am deciding if we are going to have to go home or if I can hold it or if I am just going to crap my pants. I was so desperate I was thinking of just asking somebody to use their bathroom and figure out the wiping part later! So my comp starts doing a contact and this guy blows him off and tells him to talk with this lady who is the owner of the house. And, just to put me in an awkward situation, asks her if I could use her bathroom! And she says ‘yes’ and walks us to the back of her house to an outhouse thing they all have, but most are just hole in the ground. Luckily she had a real toilet - bucket flush, of course, no seat. So I go in and still can’t decide if I want to use it. So after like 5 minutes I ask my comp for some papers from his planner. So her kids we always see on the street - they are the leaders of the china (pronounced shina) clan - that we always chase, it’s super funny - they just call us chinese until we chase them and then they just die laughing. The leader is like 4. So the whole time I can hear him just laughing his head off and he peeks in and he is like ‘the chinese is pooping!’ and just dies laughing and I am just super embarrassed. So I finish and just want to get the heck out and the lady is like ‘hey where are you going? You aren’t going to come in?’ So we figure out she lives alone with her 2 kids, so we sit outside with them and I ask her her name and her last name is Cossa which is the same as Ivan, our 2nd counselor, so I ask if they are related and they are. And she has no church but really wants one and was asking about baptism. It was a super good lesson. I really think she will be baptized, but we found her in the weirdest way ever!! There is no way we would have ever found her or talked to her if I hadn’t had to use her bathroom! I have mixed feelings about that situation! Something good came out of a terrible situation haha.
     Anyways tranfers are next week and I think I might leave - who knows - but things are going good!
      Love ya guys! Oh yeah and Brother Willis ran into Dean and Kevin fishing in Utah and sent me a picture! Super cool!

Elder Bigelow

No comments:

Post a Comment