Monday, October 15, 2012

October 15, 2012 - Dondo


Dear Everyone,
             This week. I don't even know what to say about this week! Only in Mozambique. 1st story: last week on the chapa back to Dondo we broke down in the middle of nowhere and had to wait like an hour for another chapa to come and all my frozen food I bought in Berra melted. Maybe it's not a good idea to buy frozen stuff - one time I bought frozen pot pies and they melted and leaked all over the chapa and the lady sitting next to me - I felt pretty bad.
             2nd story:  There is an old guy who lives right behind us who is like our guard. So we lock our gates and stuff every night. Well Wednesday morning we go out to work out and Elder Gergitz is like "Bro! Someone stole my shoes!" and I didn't really believe him and then my comp comes out and he is like "Hey someone stole my towel!" and then Elder Leite comes out to do laundry and he was all "Hey someone stole the soap!" I was just super happy nothing of mine got stolen, right? Until I needed my Sunday shoes. (My black ones had holes in them so I gave them away and had been wearing that super nice brown pair) but they got jacked!! So me and Elder Gergitz had to come into Berra to buy shoes! But this isn't even the crazy part - so you don't buy shoes in stores here right - people just sell them on the side of the road. I don't even know if you can buy shoes in boxes here, you just look at these markets until you find some you like that aren't too worn out. But there are places by our house that have a bunch of crappy ones so we went to check if the person who stole them sold them to this place - but they weren't there. But get this - today we went to this huge market in Berra to buy shoes for Elder Gergitz and he has this pair picked out and then he looks up and he is like "Hey what the heck?" and his pair that got stolen in Dondo Are hanging right in front of him! So we asked the guy where he got them and he said some kid had just sold them to him. haha. What are the chances of that! So Elder G bought his own shoes back for 200 metacais. He was pretty mad, but I was just laughing the whole time.
       3rd story: Today we went and saw alligators and monkeys and turtles and anacondas. Super cool. So some missionaries in Berra payed a chapa driver to bring them out to Dondo and pick us up and then take us to this ''animal reserve'' right? But it's like 30 minutes from Dondo in the middle of nowhere. Seriously we took the chapa on  
4-wheeler trails trying to find this place! So in the middle of nowhere all of a sudden this park pops out that is super run down and just the owner is there. So he let us walk around and see all the animals in cages. It was kind of like Uncle Shea's zoo up Big Lake Road. The guy let us hold the turtles and he was poking the alligators and making them snap and we fed the monkeys. It was nice and I took a lot of pics. It didn't even cost anything. We are probably the only people to go out there in like weeks haha!
       4th story: It rained super hard yesterday. Like poured and so we had only about 20 people at church. So we just all stayed in the same room the whole time and did lessons together. We had helped a member who lives way out in a place called Macharote prepare a talk for like 2 hours for church Sunday and she didn't even come.   We told one of our investigators we would come and walk with him to church because we have had a hard time getting people to come but it was pouring. But we decided to go anyway and hoped he would still come and he was sitting there waiting for us and was our only investigator to come to church yesterday! But he loved it. All the kids just went crazy and started just swimming in the puddles and taking showers in the water running off their tin roofs. It was pretty funny.
       We don't have too many investigators right now but we met with a guy for the second time yesterday that I'm pretty excited for. And Saturday and Sunday our branch is watching conference !!!!!!! So we have been inviting the whole world to come watch and see "the Prophet of God on the earth today" hoping that maybe a few will actually show up.
       We went to an old lighthouse in Berra today too, and we payed the guard ten metacais each and he let us climb to the top which was super fun.
       Transfers are next week and I am super ready for change. I love my comp. but feel like I plan and I don't feel like I know what I am doing exactly. It's super hard to manage all these contacts and decide who to keep visiting and who will just waste our time and when. And help all our members and things. So I hope I get somebody who has been here for a while. It's a lot of pressure. 
      Mangos are super good right now. 
      Oh, and a witch doctor from Zimbabwe moved into my and Elder Lopes' area! I saw a sign this week - so If I get sick or get some kind of curse or anything I know where to go! He is from Zimbabwe so what could go wrong?
         Tanner really proposed to Keeley? What? Dude we are like 19!
         This mission is crazy man. I don't even know my mission president. I have met with him once and seen him one other time. Our mission is like Maputo and then the rest of the mission. If you're not in Maputo, you feel very isolated. The church is crazy but Someday we will have a temple I bet. In the MTC, Elder Leake and I met one of the first missionaries in Brazil. He was super old but now look at Brazil and how many members they have now.
          David man you are going to go to Angola. That would be nuts!
                           Love you guys,
                                                         Elder Bigelow

No comments:

Post a Comment