Monday, October 29, 2012

October 29, 2012 - Manga


Hey,
    Manga is in between Dondo and Beira so it was only like 30 40 minute drive. Well there are a lot of mangos and we have banana trees in our backyard! Way nice. There are 6 of us in our house and so that's way nice. We live in the same house as the zone leaders. This week was pretty fun. I left Tuesday and when I got here my comp, Elder Ostler was sick. He is a way cool guy - he is from Orem. But Wednesday we went out and did a bunch of contacts and it was a crazy day. We passed this house and Elder Ostler is all "Hey wait! I think we should knock that door for some reason!" So we did and the guy has the Melchizedek Priesthood but hasn't been to church in ten years! So we invited him back. And then we were contacting this lady sitting on her front porch and this car pulls up and like ten white ladies pile out (which is super weird by itself). They had come to talk to the lady we were contacting. They were her family from Portugal. But they all went inside except this one old lady who wanted to talk to us and was asking us a bunch of questions about the church. She was born here and her Mom still lives here but when the Portuguese got kicked out she went to California so she spoke English. Her mom is 102 years old! She was a super nice lady but she was telling us one of her sisters is Assembly de Deus, one is a nun, and one is Jehovah Witness. We taught her the restoration and got her contact info for Elders in California!! Now we just have to figure out how to get it there. When we left we didn't have any pamphlets so we gave her a 'Strength for Youth' even though she is like 80 and told her it still applies - it was pretty funny.
           Thursday we did divisions with the zone leaders and so I walked in the other area which was pretty cool. We watched conference again Saturday and Sunday because they didn't have power here last weekend. Oh and the Same day we found that one inactive member, we found another one while we were knocking houses and invited him to conference and he actually came!  I'm in the Manga 1st Branch and it is way nice! We have a real chapel and an awesome Branch President and members. It's super nice. We taught some white guys from Greece last night. They were super funny guys. They reminded me of the movie 'Grumpy Old Men' because they just argued a ton but they were brothers. It's super weird to talk to white people now but they only spoke Portuguese because they grew up here. There is one member in our area who was baptized just before I got here who is paralyzed on the whole right side of his body but he is a beast! He shares the gospel with everyone and has already introduced us to like 5 families. He invited this guy from South Africa who only spoke English To conference. I don't even know how he invited him because he doesn't even speak English. But he came and my comp had to translate for him but the guy fell asleep during conference - it was super funny.
              I'm pretty sad my area in Dondo is gone now. There are only 2 missionaries for all of Dondo and me and my comp both left. But I hope everything is going well for them up there. It's just not growing fast enough so President put more missionaries in other places that need it more. Yeah, I think Manga might actually be part of Beirra but I'm not sure. But I like it a lot here and I'm super excited for this transfer! 
            Hey have you sent a package yet? if you haven't I need blades for my Gillete razor and zebra pens. If you already have or don't want to it's cool. I don't really need them but those are things that are super hard to find if they even do exist here. I will try to put pics up on that site right now but no promises. 
          I can't believe it's already almost November! The mission is flying by and I am already in my 3rd area! Most people don't get to their 3rd area until like there 7th or 8th transfer! I am going to get to see all of Mozambique! I really want to get to serve in Maputo once before I leave though. It sounds so much different - like they have bowling and a shopping mall with an escalator that works - haha. Sounds nice but I'm liking the jungle. My area is super confusing. There are like 2 main roads and then just paths. But I'll learn it. The thing is it's a new area so even my comp hasn't explored it all. So we are just going to go explore contacting a lot this transfer.   
          Other stuff: Quelimane finally became an actual branch this week and not just a group anymore. I made hootenanies this week - way nice - but the 1st time I didn't put any milk so it was like cardboard. We have a family we are trying to help get married this month and baptize who are doing really well so that's exciting. And it's super super hot. Hey is Holden putting in his papers now? You got to tell me what's going on with other people and missions. But thanks for the emails
                                               
                                                                              Elder Bigelow

Here are a few pictures. They actually go with the entry from a few weeks ago when we went to the "zoo."








No comments:

Post a Comment