Monday, January 6, 2014

January 6, 2014 - Matola - Happy New Year

I totally thought I wrote about new years last week!!
    New years was good! Me and a few Elders went to sleep at 10:30 but woke up at 11:30 to sit out on the roof of our 2 story building and watch all the fireworks. Everyone just buys fireworks and at 12 there were thousands - it was super cool!! We could see all the way into Maputo! But then our neighbors starting setting them off and they were getting super close so we got down and went to bed.
   New Years is huge here and everyone goes to their families’ house on the 1st and they eat lunch and party all day again. Just today people are starting to go back to work. In America we have national hangover day but here they take a week, haha. It is super funny - everyone gets super excited and we still get people all the time asking how we entered into the new year.
    This week went well as far as the work too. 203 frequency!! If our frequency stays above 180 they are going to split Matola 1 and Matola 2 into a Matola 3 branch as well. We are really focusing on working with the members. Elder Jarvis and I are in charge of helping Primary and the young men. Our primary president is awesome though, and keeps all the little rascals under control. When I had to help with primary a lot in the beginning of my mission, high school wrestling experience came in handy, but I may have lost a few times when they ganged up on me. Primary women have a way with loving not fighting.
     This Saturday we are going to baptize Stenho and we are pumped! He is Andre and Maria’s son who is the same age as Jr.  The other elders are baptizing a family so we are just going to do it all together. Andre is going to baptize his son!! 
  We also are teaching a family from Manga and another family, Ditos and Ana who are way nice. We are still helping Carla and Abreu with documents but they are doing awesome and always have references for us.
     So crazy story: here in Matola they have huge lizards with bright blue heads called gala galas. So yesterday there was this crazy hard mystery fruit on the ground so I picked one up to throw it at this huge tree and then I saw this gala gala so I went to throw it at it but I had no hope of actually hitting it. But I nailed it out of this tree and it starting spinning circles! I thought I killed it and everyone that saw was super amazed with my skills (they probably wanted to eat it) but we went to catch it and it ran off.
     Our area is huge and so we are trying new places and we are trying to teach families that I or other missionaries had dropped the last couple of transfers and are having some success. 
   I seriously love this place and the people. Right now is the time of machambas so we are scoring all kinds of fruit and stuff.
   I made your fry bread like 5 times - super good! Don’t know why I never asked for the recipe till now! 
   Well love ya guys! Have a great week!

       Elder Bigelow

No comments:

Post a Comment