Monday, July 15, 2013

July 8, 2013 - Matola

 This week has been super nice. Matola is really close to Maputo – like 30 minutes – and tons of rich people.  There are a lot of poor people, too, but I went into some houses this week and I thought I was back in the States! Our area is like a 20 minute chapa ride from our house, but it’s super nice.  I helped train the sisters, and then more came and took over Maputo.
    Matola just has tons of sand roads and big houses.  I don’t really know how else to describe it.  A lot of people have cars. There is a KFC about 2 minutes from our house.  Our house is awesome.  Six people and they are all super cool.  So I told you Augustinho, the ward mission leader in Nampula, is here waiting for his visa for England, and also there is an Elder from Manga, Elder Domingos, who is waiting to go to Angola, that I knew when I was serving in Inhamizua.  He was the ward mission leader in Manga 3, so when I would do divisions with the Manga 3 Elders in my house he would walk with us.  I was actually there when he opened his call.  He had a cookie stand and was trying to save up enough money to serve.  They are super funny together.
    I am learning a ton from my companion especially with Portuguese. He doesn't speak English but I am going to start helping him because he wants to learn. He is from Sao Paulo, so in 2014 I am going to go to the world cup and stay at his house. We made a goal to baptize 4 families this transfer which is going to be way tough but I know we can do it. We already dropped a lot of families this week but we have 1 who has the marriage process open getting married on August 3rd, and 1 more who we are trying to help get documents. This week we are going to find tons of new people to be able to meet our goal
    Matola just had a brand new church built chapel constructed!! It looks super nice it is actually getting dedicated on the 28th of this month so the whole week before they are doing a huge open house and we have been giving out invites to seriously everybody we saw this week. Super nice and an easy way to start conversations. Elder Lake and Elder Williams who were in the MTC with me are my zone leaders. We went to church in T3 which also has a branch about 30 minutes from here by bus this week and will have to do it for about 3 more until our new chapel opens. So Matola 1, Matola 2, and T3 are all meeting together - it is pretty crazy. Tonight we have a super nice lesson set up. So we were doing contacts and we pass this house but I felt we should go back and call and finally their son comes out and his parents are not there so we ask him if they have a church and he says ‘no.’ So my companion feels like he should leave a Book of Mormon and we got the guys number and he marked with us for tonight but I've got a good feeling about this family. I will tell you what happens next week. Well, thanks for the letters!
     kanimambo
                       Elder Bigelow

No comments:

Post a Comment